“I’m not a chef, I’m Italian”- David Rocco


Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Butternut Squash Fritters



Butternut Squash Fritters. Do I have your attention now? I thought so. I really look for any excuse to turn anything into a fritter. I’m not even kidding. I know fried food may not be the healthiest, but let’s face it, it tastes delicious. I want to make it clear that I don’t eat fried food terribly often, but when I do, I want it to be something really good. Enter my Butternut Squash Fritters.

These are so good and they are a nice change from the usual vegetable fritters made with broccoli or cauliflower. For one thing, butternut squash lends itself so well to sage, rosemary and thyme that it just seemed like the right thing to do. Imagine making a savory butternut squash pancake, that’s what these are, except that these are fried, so while they are definitely similar to a pancake, they are really crispy. These also have parmigiana cheese which just makes them even more amazing. 

I love the idea of serving fun appetizers for Thanksgiving that are a little different and I think these would do just perfectly. You might also like to try my Pumpkin Gnocchi or if you’re serving a soup, perhaps a bowl of my Pumpkin Sausage Stew. These are also great for a low carb, paleo or gluten free diet. I always love when you guys leave comments, so please let me know what you think!!

Butternut Squash Fritters


1 ½ cups of pureed butternut squash
2 eggs
½ cup coconut flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
¾ cup of parmigiana
2 tsp. chopped fresh sage
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme

1 cup of neutral oil for frying

In a medium size bowl, combine butternut squash and eggs. In another bowl, combine coconut flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper. Mix into butternut squash mix. Add parmigiana, sage, rosemary and thyme. These will be pretty moist, but don’t be startled, they will stay together and fry perfectly!!

Prepare a deep pot over high heat and add your oil. Once it is hot enough, form into balls, 2 tablespoons full and put in the oil. You may want to flatten them a little once they are in the oil as I did or you can keep them as they are!! Fry each side for around 3 minutes. Once they are all done, put on a wire rack so any excess oil drips off. Buon Appetito!! 

2 comments:

  1. wow these look delicious! I'll have to try this out. thanks for sharing x

    saritaagerman.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I really look for any excuse to turn anything into a fritter" - that's a great line, one that made me smile... from your pics it looks like your fritters are just like my Mom used to make them, tho just some interesting spice variants that I haven't seen before... sounds yummy!

    Enjoy your Holiday
    Ciao
    Steven
    http://stevenbenjamin.weebly.com/blog

    ReplyDelete